12.07.2010

The Poet Was Very Sorry

it is addressed thusly:
An apology.
it reads:
"Why poetry?" could be asked of me,
It seems idle creativity;
Words on page, on screen, on lips
While others fill their yards with ships;
Though I look not for apology
Off my tongue it slips.

Of others, I wrong them, true
Simply doing what I do;
With one, I make his fortunes worse
Another, tempt his heart to curse;
But who should mind, old or new
About a little verse?

Poetry is just a game
A man's one, but one the same
A sport of tag from word to word
No crowns or prizes first to third
But it's honored at least in name
Though it ne'er be heard.

2 comments:

  1. "a sport of tag from word to word"

    That's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of them just come to you, and you have to figure out the poem around them...

    ReplyDelete

Messages left under the doormat will be promptly decoded and a response may be issued.