8.04.2010

Fifty Haikus

it reads:
Strength

How to make nothing
Easy, but here what could not
With effort is done.

Faith

When I took the hair
I knew it was hers, for us
Deep calls out to deep.

Courage

Is no path harder
Than the one before me but
The fear makes me strong.

Discretion

I return here now
Finding the same place dif'rent,
Older and more fair.

Justice

In seeing my things
I find all men be equal
And I the least man.

Temperance

I have left all things
Needing but one. Despite this
A man still must work.

Love

The Tishbite prayed for
The widow received with tears
Oil filled when poured out.

Hope

I saw the path turn
But the miles and the sores have
Less worth than my joy.

Joy

A dreadful thing dark
Spun with bright bliss' sweet singing
Cast away in mirth.

Wisdom

What you say are three
I say are one also, so
Dim eyes see dark things.

Truth

One thing beyond sight
I see it, and now am blind
To anything else.

Goods

Let me count the ways
And gather as does a hen
My heart fits one more.

Beauty

'Hrair' was the word
For mystery is not counted
But unrolled like cloth.

Virtue

My soldiers stood guard
Each a paragon, but none
Watches the same door.

Mystery

The horrors I saw
In the human heart were not
As dreadful as this.

Sacrament

I fear touching this
Because my impurity
Burns my heart like flame.

Graves

These tombs are white-washed
Stained with tears and fair adorned
But have you heard, empty?

Relic

Useless rags are we
But watch the wind blow, and see
The bright stain'd banner.

Color

The impurities
The dust of this earth only
Need love to be art.

Image

O moon with bright face
O sun with effulgent crown
O eye that holds them.

Face

I have two mind's eyes
One sees all things, the other
Sees all things through you.

Crown

An enclosure here
Hides our most precious kingdom
Above the earth's face.

Ring

Do not lose me now
For one finger I bind fast
That strength may be loosed.

Beard

Even the least man
Would have me as a garment
No spinning required.

Hair

Why is the grass green
Except with envy? For her
Locks make them bow down.

Arm

Call for at least two
For with my partner we are
Stopped by no mountain.

Feet

We measure a man
By his walk and so why not
Make it literal?

Hands

My dexterity
Fails me where a mistake would
Show me better ways.

Shoulders

Tall buildings crowd out
Bright rays and cast down dark shade
As a strong man would.

Bracelet

A great ring binds these
Hands to a task, so keep them
Where I can see them.

Words

When dust gathered then
Forming stars of every size
And space between them.

Book

Should it surprise us
That the inside is bigger
For this little house?

Scroll

A vertical world
That rolled out before books came
Now hides inside them.

Pen

What trap would you make
To capture your thoughts with just
Paper to free them?

Pencil

One day charcoal went
To market to buy a coat
Came back a new man.

Paper

I ran to mother
With joy for I had folded
Tree into a tree.

Parchment

I am not unlike
Your brain: wrinkled and waiting
For a word to hold.

Eraser

A constructive way
Of forgetting requires a
Lot of elbow grease.

Ink

The octopus said:
"Most ink is used to obscure
Not reveal the truth."

Desk

Lewis Carroll thought
I was like a raven but
At least I stay put.

Chair

My great grandfather
Was part of the royal court;
I keep my bearing.

Table

No more perfect place
To spread out my thoughts like stones
Above the earth's ways.

Bookcase

A scholar's mind is
As bright as his books are clean
Five walls, one window.

Window

Light passes through here
I am softly touched by it
My heart goes on through.

Wall

When the earth is armed
It throws out great battlements
Its will is like stone.

Couch

When royals were kings
I was their bed, and now poor
Men sleep like nobles.

Curtain

Inner courts are kept
By veils and drapes who hide them
Like walls hewn of stone.

Cup

All affections rest
And are seemingly governed
By an upright bowl.

Rod

Discipline and rule
Structure and elevation
The world turns on one.

Rope

One day a space-man
Will throw me out a window
We'll need a pulley!
a postscript is here written:
Jeff says:

A hundred degrees
The day before Garth's wedding
How will Sunday be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages left under the doormat will be promptly decoded and a response may be issued.